- I wanted the colors to appear clean, distinct, and bright. The palette knife was perfect for this.
- I drew inspiration from Isaac Levitan.
- There's a lot going on in this scene. Simplification was important. I had to narrow down on the few details that really matter.
- As with most landscapes, depth is an important aspect with the plants in the foreground, the land and water in the middle ground, and the mountains in the background. I needed to ensure these areas appear distinct, whilst also appearing part of the whole.
- If you look closely at the reference photo, you'll see a cow hidden in the bushes on the right. I excluded the cow in the painting as it's so subtle and would be tricky to paint. Little reward for effort.
- Notice the texture in the foreground. This creates the illusion of detail and nature. It also suggests closeness and clarity.