- I painted fast, relying mostly on instinct.
- I took advantage of visible brushwork to inject energy into the painting.
- I started with dark colors, then worked lighter towards the end.
- With the waves, it's important to simplify all the "noise". I looked for the few key details, contours, and edges that convey the most meaning. I simplified the rest.
- To convey the illusion of light in the distance, I needed to ensure the surrounding colors were dark enough. It's all about contrast.
- Simple compositions have their own challenges. You need to work harder to create an interesting painting.